When it comes to summer produce, it’s hard to beat berries in terms of both taste and nutrition. Now is the perfect time to pick up a basket of these gems. This handout covers five of the top reasons for savoring berries.
8 Easy Ways to Add Berries to Your Meals
- Add them to a delicious smoothie. Feeling adventurous? How about a Berry, Beet, Mint, Lime, and Chia-Seed Smoothie? Oh my. Feeling like something a little more basic? Try this simple Frozen Fruit Smoothie.
- Add a handful of blueberries to your pancake batter or use them to top your frozen waffle.
- Make a Triple Berry Quick Jam.
- Add them to your grilled chicken salad. Berries pair well with tangy feta, blue, and goat cheeses. Add some nuts for flavor and crunch, such as almonds, pecans, or walnuts.
- How about a Blueberry Grilled Cheese?
- Top your seafood with a fresh berry salsa; toss together two cups of chopped berries with two tablespoons each of vinegar (raspberry, white wine, or champagne, for example), fruit juice, and sugar. Add some diced red onion or shallot along with fresh herbs of your choosing (perhaps rosemary, cilantro, or mint).
- Spice up some bland poultry by making this zesty Turkey with Blueberry Pan Sauce.
- My favorite berry recipe is Eating Well’s Strawberry-Rhubarb Quinoa Pudding– I know it sounds a bit exotic for some people, but give it a try; you won’t be sorry. Just be sure to let it chill for long enough!
If you’re sick of bringing home beautiful berries only to have them go bad before you have a chance to enjoy them, be sure to check out this article on Food52. It includes a simple trick for making them last longer.